Pages

June 12, 2014

Movie Review ~ The Fault in Our Stars #TFIOS



Warning...possible spoilers...

When my mother-in-law asked my daughter how the movie was, she replied, "It was sad and amazing." 

I can't think of a better way to describe this movie; her answer blew mine away! 

My goal was to read the entire book before going, but I didn't quite make it - I made it two thirds of the way through. My daughter had read the book (before I even had a chance to!) and was putting the pressure on me to finish reading it, lol. 

For a book-to-movie adaptation, I thought it was done quite well. I was happy with how the book was transformed from words on a page to pictures on a screen. There was only one major scene I wish hadn't been cut from the book - the ad Hazel and Augustus wrote to give away her sad swing set. The dialogue between them was witty, and the ad they wrote was spectacularly comical. 

I wasn't 100% sold on the actor cast for Augustus but decided to hold off any serious judgment until after watching the movie. Afterward, I'm still not sold on him - he doesn't look anything like the way I pictured the character. But the way he portrayed Augustus's personality was spot-on for me, and that is much more important than whether he looks like the character to me or not.  

Hazel, on the other hand, was cast perfectly. I thought she was great! She had me experiencing all of her emotional highs and lows throughout the movie. I love the character in the book and the movie equally. She gives me a lot of hope in actually living life rather than just sleepwalking through it. 

Have you seen the movie yet? Are you planning on seeing it? Let's talk!    

6 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you about Ansel Elgort - I wasn't entirely sold on him as Gus at first. But after watching the movie, I began to really like him :)

    Great review btw! I just posted my review of TFIOS too, you can check it out here: Isabelle's Book Reviews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a big part of not liking Ansel for me was seeing him in Divergent. I didn't like his character in that movie - I just kept yelling in my mind, "Believe your sister!!" lol I did start to like him in TFIOS - he nailed the snarky, arrogant personality.

      Thank you - checking out your review right now! :)

      Delete
  2. I absolutely loved the movie! I read it a few months back, and then eagerly awaited the movie. I am a HUGE Shailene Woodley fan (back when Secret Life was on, I watched every horrible episode just for her). Boy, did she rock playing Hazel, though. Her emotions were incredible, and I just think she is a great person. I feel that Ansel portrayed the personality of Gus perfectly, too. That gas station scene? All the feels! I feel they did an incredible job, but I was disappointed that the swing set conversation was left out as well!

    Tiffany
    Beneath the Jacket Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first time I've seen Shailene Woodley was in Divergent, and I'm definitely a fan of hers. She's done an excellent job with both Divergent and TFIOS. She was spot on as Hazel, wow! Oh man, the gas station scene killed me! I think the movie was so faithful to the book, so that was really great to see. Thanks for stopping by, Tiffany! :)

      Delete
  3. Ooooooooh I cannot wait to go and see this movie next week! It is being released here today and I ordered the book yesterday :) *excited* Great post Jennifer!!! I am completely besotted with needing to read this book and watch the movie.

    Chanzie @ Mean Who You Are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm super excited for you tor read the book and see the movie! The movie is very faithful to the book, which I truly appreciated. It's emotional and very sad but also hopeful at the same time. I love Hazel and Augustus, and I'm sure you will, too! Thanks for visiting, Chanzie! :)

      Delete

Leave a comment and make my day awesome! :D This is an award-free zone - thanks for your consideration though!