Pages

January 5, 2017

The Dogs by Allan Stratton ~ #bookreview



Title: The Dogs
Author: Allan Stratton
Publication Date: 9/1/15 (originally published 1/28/15) 
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire  
Source: Publisher via Netgalley for review

Rating:








Synopsis

Out of the corner of my eye, I catch something moving by the barn. 

When I look, it disappears. Wait. There it is again, at the cornfield. 

Some movement, some thing. 

Mom and I have been on the run for years. Every time he catches up with us, we move to a new place and start over. 

But this place is different. 

This place is full of secrets. And they won't leave me alone.



The Dogs was a super creepy read that I guarantee will spook you, especially if you read it at night. What I loved most about this book is how unsettled the story made me feel. I wasn't sure what was real and what was imagined, and I become positively giddy when an author achieves that.  

Cameron, the main character and narrator, has had a difficult time to say the least. Moving around all the time with a mom who's constantly on edge would be so hard. I empathized with him right away. How many times can a kid be expected to adjust to a new place with new people?

The Dogs is a well written book with a perfectly sized serving of the creep factor. What wasn't perfectly sized was the length of the novel. I think there was more story to tell but didn't get told and was skipped over. I wish Stratton had gone into more depth. I wanted more, which is a good thing.

The Dogs was a quick read, and while short, had a satisfying ending. No matter what time of year you choose to pick this book up, you're guaranteed to get the chills.  

2 comments:

  1. I love a story that makes me uncomfortable. This is going on my reading list!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment and make my day awesome! :D This is an award-free zone - thanks for your consideration though!