Pages

January 6, 2017

This Is Where It Ends by Marieke Nijkamp ~ #bookreview



Title: This Is Where It Ends
Author: Marieke Nijkamp
Published: 1/5/16
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Source: Publisher via NetGalley for review


My Rating:



 https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/24529123-this-is-where-it-ends?ac=1&from_search=true


http://booklikes.com/this-is-where-it-ends-marieke-nijkamp/book,13231612




Synopsis


10:00 a.m. The principal of Opportunity High School finishes her speech, welcoming the entire student body to a new semester and encouraging them to excel and achieve.

10:02 a.m. The students get up to leave the auditorium for their next class.

10:03 a.m. The auditorium doors won't open.

10:05 a.m. Someone starts shooting.

Told from four different perspectives over the span of fifty-four harrowing minutes, terror reigns as one student’s calculated revenge turns into the ultimate game of survival.


Once I finished reading This Is Where It Ends, I thought,  Man. I'm still collecting my thoughts on this one. So much so that I don't know how I want to rate it. o.o

And it was true. I had no idea how to rate it, so I took a few days to think about it. There were things I liked about it, but they weren't enough to leave me raving. Instead, the book ended up being lackluster for me.

This Is Where It Ends is told from multiple characters' POV, and you end up finding out the ways they're connected besides simply going to the same school, which I really liked. I also appreciated the diverse cast of characters. It was refreshing to read about people different from me. For instance, one of the characters has lupus, and I researched it because I couldn't remember exactly what it is. I ended up learning quite a bit from my searches, and that likely wouldn't have happened without this book. 

There were times when the story lagged. One of the character's POV was the least interesting to me because she was outside of the action, plus I wasn't able to connect with any of the characters. The backstory of the shooter and the shooter's motivation were too pat, too cut and dry. That to me was completely unrealistic. While most of us can't fathom what would drive someone to shoot people, the reasons are messy and complicated.

I can't completely recommend This Is Where It Ends. My reasons for liking some of it while not liking other parts may be what you want from a book. Or it may not be. But if you're looking for emotional depth, then this isn't a book where you'll find that unfortunately.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment and make my day awesome! :D This is an award-free zone - thanks for your consideration though!