Pages

July 22, 2012

soapy sundays #1

I'd like to be proactive in the cause of saving what few soaps remain. Every Sunday, I'm going to start regularly posting about the soaps I love and perhaps inspire other soap enthusiasts out there to make their voices heard, too! My posts may not always be positive, though. There are some storylines, dialogue, castings, etc. that I'd like to talk about and hopefully get my thoughts out of my system. :D

I admit that even as a die hard soap fan, there are moments when I as a viewer am thinking, 'Come on, this is completely awful! This is going to cause the end of the genre!' And I'm sure I'm not the only soap fan out there thinking some of these thoughts.

For me right now, The Bold and the Beautiful is completely unwatchable. I haven't even kept up with what's been going on for the last couple of months, but when I was attempting to watch it, I was shocked that the show had been taken over by the Hope/Liam/Steffy triangle. Where are the vets who have been on there practically since the show started that are the reason I've been watching this show most of my life? Brooke, Stephanie, Ridge, Eric??? There was absolutely no balance with storylines--everyday was about Hope, Liam, and Steffy.

I'm ashamed to admit how completely behind I am with General Hospital. Now that my two-year-old son is interested in watching T.V., I let him watch his favorite shows in the morning--Super Why, Little Einsteins, and The Wiggles. As a SAHM, I like to get my housework for the day done while a soap is on in the background. I know, it's kind of stereotypical to watch soaps while doing chores. But at least I'm not eating bon bons!! :D

On the other hand, my all-time favorite, The Young and the Restless, is on fire!! I can't get enough of Adam/Chelsea, Billy/Victoria, Nikki/Jack, and Chloe/Kevin. When Paul had to shoot his son Ricky in order to save Eden's life, Doug Davidson's (actor who plays Paul) acting was absolutely superb. I've got my fingers *crossed* he gets a Daytime Emmy for his performance!

I'm also loving the use of history from 1994, when Phyllis rented a car and tried to run Christine over because she was jealous of the bond between Christine and Danny--Phyllis's then-husband. It looks like Phyllis is going to pay for her crime now after all of these years. With the flashbacks and the fact that I remember this storyline (I was in junior high then, ha ha), I'm really looking forward to this story. I've read a few letters from fans over the years printed in Soap Opera Weekly, where they wondered if anyone was ever going to find out that Phyllis was the one who did it and if she would ever go to jail for it. That's another reason I love this story--it's awesome that other stories going on have caused this one to become front and center again. That's excellent writing, in my opinion.

If you aren't a soap fan, honestly, check them out sometime. They really are better than you might think! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment and make my day awesome! :D This is an award-free zone - thanks for your consideration though!