Pages

April 25, 2013

Think Out Loud #8 Yet Another Surgery


Hey everyone! I'm now going to join the meme Think Out Loud hosted by Thinks Books. With this meme, you can post anything you want! Get to know other bloggers outside of the bookish realm. :)Click on the link to go to her blog and sign up. :) The posts go up on Thursdays or whenever you'd like. :D

After the two surgeries I had last year - my first one ever for my broken ankle and the second to remove my gallbladder - I was so done with the hospital and doctors. I wished for a surgery-free year, but my husband's grandmother had to have surgery recently and now my son is having surgery tomorrow. We're just in April!

My son has some cavities that need to be filled, and since he's only three years old with high doctor and dentist anxiety, the pediatric dentist decided to fill them this way. First of all, I feel like such a crappy mom upon finding out about the cavities. My daughter never had cavities, so this unexpected. Secondly, I recognize intellectually that I'm lucky my kids are healthy besides this, and I should be and am completely grateful for; however, emotionally as someone who grew up with a grandfather and mother battling brain cancer and both losing those battles, I live in a state of fear that one day my luck will run out again. But that's a long story for another day.

I'm feeling a bit nervous about tomorrow. I know they do this all the time. Everything is going to be okay - I just don't want to see my son scared or upset. My husband and I will be there together, and when the children's hospital called me today, the caller assured me my son won't remember anything about going to the operating room or the operation itself. That's a relief that I needed someone to tell me out loud (haha, get it? out loud?).

 
My son fell asleep tonight hugging his Mickey Mouse. Sweet dreams, Jack. <3

4 comments:

  1. My sister went through the exact same thing with her toddler, and I think he had a lot more than three - She blamed herself for giving him juice bottles, but her older boy never had any troubles!
    Long story short, everything went just fine (this was back in the day so he had a mouth full of silver in his baby teeth!). My nephew has grown up to be a fine young man with fine teeth so never fear!

    As a mom of three, I know how gut-wrenching it is to see your babies suffering anything, but HANG IN THERE - It'll be ALOT harder on you than it will be on him, and he really won't remember a thing.
    BEST WISHES TO YOU AND YOUR FAMILY!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words and support! I really needed it - Friday was such a long day. My husband and I left with our son Jack at 9am and didn't get home until 6pm. By the time we came home, we were completely exhausted.

      He ended up having four - two on each side of the bottom row. Our mistake was letting him to go to sleep with a bottle of milk for far too long. I broke him of nursing when he was ten months old, and it seemed like he had such a difficult time that he didn't want to give up the bottle. He'd drink milk from a cup during the day but not the night.

      Jack has two silver teeth now himself. We're going to make sure we help him take better care of his teeth. :) It was much harder on us than it was him. The waiting was pure torture. I kept looking out the door, waiting for him to come back from recovery. I brought my Kindle, but I couldn't concentrate on reading at all. :/

      Thanks so much for your support! I appreciate it so much, and I feel better knowing I'm not the only one who worries about the choices we make raising our kids. I worry all the time, lol!

      Delete
  2. I missed this post somehow. I wish I had been able to offer some support. I know the waiting room game. My mom was with me and kept me busy like only a mom could. Both my boys had high anxiety during doctor visits. Then one day a switch was flipped and they no longer threw the fits and bawled their eyes out because a nursed looked their way. Those visits will get easier. Your baby looks so precious in that photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You probably missed it 'cause I forgot to add my link, lol. I know you support me even if you didn't have a chance to say it here. :) You wrote kind words of support for me on my Friday post. I took my Kindle, but I really couldn't focus on reading. I kept looking out the door waiting for them to bring him back. My husband, Brady, took the day off, and he had his iPod so we watched an episode of Family Guy with Jack before they gave him the drink to calm him down. That helped the time pass because the waiting was hard before he was taken back for surgery, too.

      Jack has always had anxiety with doctor appointments. As soon as he was old enough to be aware of his surroundings, he'd freak out with the first step in the building before we even reached the waiting room! When my dad was laid off, he'd go with me for moral support as much for me as Jack, lol!

      I can't wait for the day when he can be calm! The well check he had in January was at the same time as my daughter's, so he was completely okay that day.

      Thank you! I took that picture right after he fell asleep the night before his surgery. It kind of broke my heart because I knew what was going to happen the next day. But I was happy he slept well and looked so innocent. :D

      Delete

Leave a comment and make my day awesome! :D This is an award-free zone - thanks for your consideration though!